The Students with Dependents Program (SwD) at the Bruin Resource Center provides caring and personalized support to UCLA undergraduate, graduate, and professional school students who are parents, guardians, and caregivers. The program is committed to promoting your success by offering programs and advocacy that enrich and support parenting student's academic, personal, and professional goals.
The SwD Program aims to successfully transition you to UCLA, and assist you through your degree completion by providing a family-friendly, centrally located facility. The current and future UCLA community benefits from a campus-wide commitment to supporting parenting students and their families with resources that encourage both academic and family success.
What Can the SWD Program Offer You?
- A space at the Bruin Resource Center for studying, relaxing, and meeting other students with shared experiences.
- Individual and academic support.
- Assistance with programs such as CalFresh, CalWorks/Gain, WIC and MediCal.
- Referrals to campus and community resources.
- Advocacy and support through collaborating with other UCLA Departments such as Financial Aid, Housing, Early Childhood Education, Transportation, Student Affairs, and with professors and UCLA employers.
- Student-led programming and community building events.
- Guidance on accessing and applying for guaranteed parking (payment is required along with supporting documentation).
- Quarterly workshops to help strengthen skills and promote success as both parents and scholars.
- Bimonthly SwD email newsletters sent throughout the quarter filled with information on jobs, scholarships, and events pertinent to student parents.
- A vibrant and vocal online community of students sharing experiences advice and support.
- Behind-the-scenes: Policy work at the University and Governmental level to make UCLA more inclusive for student parents (ask us if you would like to get involved!)
- A family-friendly graduation celebration annually in June, in partnership with Parenting Students at UCLA (PSUCLA).
- Annual Little Bruin Wishes holiday gift giving program open each November to families of all faiths, cultures, and traditions. Graduate, undergraduate, non-traditional, and international families. Any student who feels they will not be able to give their children a happy holiday due to financial limitations is encouraged to apply.
- Lactation workshops and private spaces throughout campus.